If you are planning to travel to Colombia, there are two things you can’t miss! The first is to give you the opportunity to study Spanish, and the second is visiting the Colombian Coffee Region known as “Eje Cafetero” (Coffee Axis), one of the most famous tourist sites in the country.
The Coffee Region is surrounded by soft and delicious coffee aroma and flavor, with an incredible culture that teaches everything about the grain and many tourist activities has been created with the permanent presence of the coffee tradition.
It is located in the central-western region of the Colombian Andes. The region is made up of four departments: Caldas, Quindío, Risaralda and the north of Valle del Cauca, interconnected by roads separated by short distances.
Caldas, Quindío, Risaralda are the three main centers of the coffee axis since they represent the entrance doors to the main tourist points of the area, thanks to their airports and large transport terminals.
A little bit of history
The Colombian Coffee Axis is an exceptional example of a productive and sustainable cultural landscape, the result of the efforts of several generations of peasant families who, for over one hundred years, have accumulated knowledge to obtain one of the best products in the world and at the same time, have managed to develop a strong cultural identity for the Coffee Region.
The development and expansion of coffee growing have marked the evolution of the Coffee Region. The origins of this activity in the region of the Coffee Axis are traced in the second half of the 19th century.
In the Coffee Region you can find from coffee plantations, to museums, natural parks and amusement parks or places where you can practice adventure sports such as paragliding, climbing, rappelling, rafting, canopy, kayaking, etc.
You can buy a tour for the axis that has all the activities included. However, there are those who prefer to travel at their own pace and enjoy a little more of each space and attraction offered by the axis.
Among the parks and places to visit in the axis you will find:
· Parque Nacional del Café (Coffe National Park)
· Museo de la cultura cafetera (Museum of coffee cultura)
· Parque nacional de la Cultura Agropecuaria “Panaca” (National Agricultural Culture Park)
· Recorrido de la cultura cafetera (Tour of the coffee culture)
· El Zoológico Matecaña (Matecaña’s Zoo)
· Jardín Botánico Universidad Tecnológica de Pereira (Botanical Garden Technological University of Pereira)
· Belén de Umbría
· Valle de Cocora (Cocora’s Valley)
· Termales Santa Rosa de Cabal (Santa Rosa de Cabal Thermal Springs)
· Jardín botánico del Quindío (Botanical Garden of Quindío)
· Museo Arqueológico Quimbaya (Quimbaya Archaeological Museum)
· Parque nacional natural Los Nevados (Los Nevados National Park)
· Catedral Basílica Nuestra Señora del Rosario de Manizales (Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manizales)
So if you are looking for places to visit in Colombia, don’t miss the opportunity to go to the beautiful and emblematic Coffee Region and learn a little more about the coffee culture!
And if you want to take a Spanish course, a great opportunity is to attend to Centro Catalina Spanish School. Located in Cartagena and Medellín (near the Coffee Region), two of the main cities of Colombia. Our team is young and dynamic and well equipped to teach you Spanish with the best learning methods and a very friendly atmosphere. For more information, please visit www.centrocatalina.com